LOCATION: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Full time
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 11 December 2023
SALARY RANGE: 53,000 EUR – 58,000 EUR gross annual (all inclusive)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats. GCA is a rapidly growing organization with offices in Abidjan, Beijing, Dhaka, Groningen, and its global headquarters in Rotterdam.
GCA has an ambitious 2020-2025 business plan with three pillars:
GCA’s flagship work program is in Africa. All the components of GCA’s Business Plan contribute towards changing the pace and scale of adaptation in Africa. GCA’s program in Africa is the Africa-owned and Africa-led Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program (AAAP), co-created with the African Development Bank Group to implement the vision of the Africa Adaptation Initiative to support African countries on key adaptation initiatives.
The AAAP is mobilizing $25 billion for climate adaptation investments over five years, helping African countries prioritize climate adaptation in their policies, programs, and institutions. The program focuses on delivering high adaptation dividends and accelerating momentum through large-scale investments, innovations, knowledge, and technical assistance initiatives. The AAAP has already influenced over $5.2 billion of investments, mainstreaming adaptation to achieve the objectives of programs including those focused on food security, climate-resilient water services, and jobs in Africa. Endorsed by the international community as a vehicle to deliver on pledges and meet the urgent need to scale up adaptation, the AAAP model provides a tested platform that combines knowledge, programs, and advocacy to support country and regional priorities around the world.
GCA is seeking a talented Communications Officer to help shape and disseminate policy messages that drive the adaptation agenda forward. If you are an excellent communicator with a passion for writing and crafting messages, this may be the role for you. Through compelling content, you will support our mission of creating a climate-resilient future. You will report to the Strategic Communications Manager and collaborate closely with colleagues across GCA, including policy engagement, digital content creation, and media, to implement GCA’s Advocacy and Agenda-Setting activities.
Copy writing: Creating Compelling Content
• Lead the production of diverse written communications materials such as blog posts, Q&As, news stories, newsletters, report forewords, etc.
• Develop key messages and identify the most compelling case studies to support campaigns and projects, including the Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program, ensuring alignment with our corporate narrative.
• Collaborate with senior management and colleagues across the organization to create content for GCA’s internal communications.
Editing: Refining Written Products
• Work closely with GCA’s Program Leads and Senior Researchers to edit and improve key reports and products before publication.
• Commission and collaborate with external suppliers to support editing and designing content as needed, e.g., GCA’s Annual Report.
• Maintain the internal GCA Style Guide, promoting its use within the organization to maintain a consistent voice in external publications.
• Coordinate with colleagues across the organization to lead the updating of internal tools and resources to inform GCA’s outreach products.
Delivery: Strategy and Campaign Planning
• Collaborate with the Strategic Communications Manager to deliver GCA’s corporate communications narrative and messaging grid, ensuring a clear and consistent message across all external communications.
• Propose, execute, and scale innovative methods for creating and distributing communications that expand climate adaptation awareness and adoption globally, with particular emphasis on the needs of vulnerable countries.
• Support GCA’s management and technical program leads, and engage with our global network of partners, to communicate the success of our programs and research, including the Africa Adaptation Acceleration Program and growing program in South Asia.
• Lead on establishing knowledge generation from GCA’s operations and events, by supporting GCA’s management and technical program leads to ensure that institutional learning is captured, stored and made accessible to both internal and external stakeholders.
• Bachelor’s Degree (International Relations/Public Affairs, Political Science/Public Policy, Environmental Policy, Communications, Public Health, or related fields) with a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience.
• Native-level English language skills with proficiency in writing and editing complex and politically sensitive content, employing a strategic structure, clarity of ideas, and logical, persuasive presentation.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in writing and orally with senior-level internal and external partners, understanding their interests and needs.
• Experience in journalism, copy-editing, or similar writing positions.
• Ability to translate complex ideas and activities into engaging and meaningful content and deliverables.
• Ability to prioritize, plan, manage, and execute multiple projects while making sound decisions in a fast-paced environment.
• Effective collaboration skills with colleagues in various regions.
• Initiative, creativity, and proactive thinking.
• Knowledge of climate change, adaptation, or the 2030 Agenda.
• Familiarity with international organizations and international development.
• Must have the right to work in the Netherlands.
• Experience in knowledge management is desirable.
Business travel may be required. GCA will arrange and cover travel and accommodation expenses.
WHAT WE OFFER
GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile, and international working environment within a growing organization. Our global headquarters in Rotterdam is located in the award-winning Floating Office Rotterdam, the world’s largest floating office, with regional offices around the globe.
Joining our team means contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. You will have the opportunity to tap into the extensive expertise available at GCA and its partner organizations worldwide. Furthermore, you will play a role in shaping international policies and global action on climate change, working at the highest governmental levels and collaborating with governments on all continents.
This staff position will be based at GCA’s global headquarters in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. GCA has a flexible working policy, and a public transport travel card will be provided for free commuting within the Netherlands.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV by following the link https://gca.org/about-us/join-us/ before 11 December 2023. Selected candidates will be invited to undertake a short, timed written test ahead an interview. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES STATEMENT
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.