20-007 | Internal Audit & Compliance Officer
VACANCY TITLE: Internal Audit & Compliance Officer
LOCATION: Rotterdam, The Netherlands
LEVEL OF EFFORT: Full time
ANTICIPATED START DATE: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 10 July 2022
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sectors, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for livelihoods, food security, water supply, health, security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats. GCA is a rapidly growing organization with offices in Abidjan, Beijing, Dhaka, Groningen, and Rotterdam.
The GCA’s business plan consists of three pillars:
Programs: GCA’s Programs include: Food Security; Using Nature for more resilient infrastructure; Water for Urban Growth and Resilience; Climate Finance; Youth Leadership
Knowledge: Building adaptation knowledge globally and in countries through cutting edge knowledge products such as the State and Trends in Adaptation Report; Data and Knowledge Platform
Advocacy and Awareness: Formulating policy messages to move adaptation agenda forward globally and in countries.
GCA seeks an Internal audit & Compliance Officer to proactively identify and mitigate the risk of non-compliance with the organization’s regulatory and administrative requirements, in order to reduce the risk of adverse financial and reputational impact to the organization.
The Internal Audit & Compliance Officer will assist in the development and implementation of annual work plans that provide for periodic risk assessments to identify areas of risk. He/she will raise non-compliance findings and build capacity of managers to participate in developing and overseeing risk assessments and effective action plans.
This position will also be the focal point for safeguarding and integrity matters and fraud reporting and will lead the planning and implementation of relevant investigations.
The Internal audit & Compliance Officer reports directly to the CEO.
Risk Management and Compliance
- Develop and implement procedures to proactively identify and mitigate risks that could impact the delivery of the agreed objectives;
- Advise and support the GCA Leadership on risk management, integrity, compliance, and oversight matters, assisting the organization to manage risks and ensuring an effective implementation of GCA’s risk management strategy and policy;
- Ensure risk management considerations are integrated into decision making, planning, resource allocation, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities across the organization;
- Contribute to embedding risk assessment in planning and decision making through developing and/or monitoring of key risk appetite metrics and risk indicators, and regular updating of risk registers, including monitoring progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions;
- Monitor compliance against policies and procedures, inform management of areas of non-compliance and identify the root cause of this and appropriate corrective actions;
- Ensure that GCA Leadership is kept continually and proactively informed of the status of compliance with established rules, regulations and industry standards;
- Monitor the follow up of findings and recommendations of internal and external audits and assessments
- Undertake or coordinate investigations of alleged fraud, corruption and other violations of GCA’s Anti-fraud policy with objectivity, impartiality, and fairness throughout the investigative process and in accordance with generally recognized international investigative standards and GCA guidelines;
- Maintain GCA’s Due Diligence process and documentation for partner organizations;
- Assist and advise in the planning and implementation of partner due diligence. Ensure that systems are in place to follow-up on any partner’s due diligence recommendations;
Safeguarding & integrity
- Assist in maintaining and improving integrity and ethical conduct among GCA’s workforce (staff and contractors), governance bodies and partners; improve detection of potential integrity related breaches;
- Collaborate with GCA Leadership to ensure the Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, and reporting requirements and mechanisms are communicated to and understood by workforce, governance bodies, partners, and other relevant stakeholders
- Formalize and monitor a system to enable employees to report any non-compliance without fear of retribution, ensuring that the reporting system is adequately publicized and that allegations of non-compliance are investigated and responded to promptly;
- In consultation with all levels of the organization, support the process of improving prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse through HR policy and practices, including Prevention SEA standards into induction materials and training courses for GCA staff and partners;
- Manage safeguarding and integrity related reports and complaints, plan and coordinate investigations , present results and ensure appropriate actions are taken promptly;
- Support the development of comprehensive training materials and deliver training to managers and personnel on safeguarding and integrity related matters.
- Plan, execute and report internal audits on operational processes and domains in order to recommend further improvements in procedure efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assess and provide independent assurance on whether GCA’s systems of internal controls are adequate and identify improvements where necessary across all departments
- Evaluate and maintain business process descriptions in order to create standardized processes that ensure a high level of quality and efficiency.
- Ensure timely submission of all audit reports and ensure identified gaps are shared and discussed with relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor and follow up on the completion of audit recommendations with internal stakeholders.
- Advanced Degree in relevant field such as Risk Management, Auditing, Legal or compliance
- Minimum 10 years of relevant (international) job experience with similar organizations
- Strong knowledge of safeguarding and fraud prevention, and incident investigation
- Knowledge of international organizations and familiarity with development activities.
- Good analytical and communication skills
- Familiarity with Safeguarding and PSEA;
- Strong understanding and experience of applying risk management in the day to day operations within an international context;
- Self-starter with proven experience of setting up monitoring and investigation frameworks related to for instance risks, compliance and/or integrity matters.
- Business travel may be part of the assignment..
WHAT WE OFFER
With our global headquarters in Rotterdam on the world’s largest floating office, and regional offices around the globe, GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation.
Subject to Covid-19 pandemic travel restrictions, this staff post will be located in the Head Office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV by following the link https://gca.org/about-us/join-us/ before 10 July 2022, 5 pm CET. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES STATEMENT
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.